Monday, March 30, 2015

12th House Planets conjunct Ascendant and 9th House Planets conjunct Midheaven



I wanted to write an article on this because it has been on my mind recently. What is the effect of having a 12th House planet conjunct your Ascendant? Or a 9th House planet conjunct your Midheaven? Do they become 1st House or 10th House planets, shifted to the next house?

Well, my answer on this subject, after some lengthy consideration, would be a “no.” I used to be more inclined to agree but that kind of thinking just feels too simplistic to me now.

A planet is in the house that it’s in and I think we do ourselves a disservice to “round up” in this way. This eliminates the nuanced differences between those who have the aforementioned planets and those who have a 1st House planet conjunct the Ascendant or a 10th House planet conjunct the Midheaven. They’re going to express themselves very differently.

If there’s a planet in the 12th House and conjunct the Ascendant, it’s going to be a hidden agenda of yours, in the way in which you greet the world. You express this energy like an undercover agent, as it motivates you but is not all out in the open like a 1st House planet on the Ascendant would be. Yet, it still has a way of being noticeable and tangible, at the same time. It’s just more of a feeling around you than a transparent persona. I think this is especially the case if the planet is 4 degrees or less away from the Ascendant. So, people see it and don’t see it, at the same time.


This differs greatly from a 1st House planet conjunct the Ascendant. It is very direct and straightforward in its expression. It wants to be seen and make an impact. But, 12th House planets don’t want to be seen, even if they’re on the Ascendant. They are egoless and don't need the me-oriented recognition that 1st House planets do. Astrologers tend to encourage people to let their 12th House planets out into the clear light of day. It's not surprising since we live in such an extrovert society that doesn't always value inner mysteries and the idea that not everything has to be shared and obvious.

I take a different approach. I believe that there's nothing wrong with being very private about planets in the 12th, as long as you're consciously aware of them and accepting of them, saving their expression for certain outlets that have nothing to do with you. These planets are much bigger than our sense of our self. And once you start trying to appropriate 12th House placements for your ego-recognition, such as making it an obvious part of your persona via the Ascendant, if the planet's rising, you're in trouble.

Therefore, a 12th House rising planet allows you to approach your environment and new situations in the style of this planet but while not exposing the planet directly to others. With a 12th House Mars rising, for example, many people will get this subtle, unexplainable feeling that you’re aggressive, even if you present yourself in passive, sweet-as-pie ways. 12th House planets conjunct the Ascendant, therefore, are communicated subliminally. They’re transmitted but not openly acknowledged.

Now, what about a planet in the 9th House conjunct the Midheaven? The 9th House is a very adventurous, expansive house. Therefore, with planets on this side of the Midheaven, you will approach your career as an endless journey. Your ambition is going to be very different than the ambition of someone with a 10th House planet conjunct the Midheaven, which is expressed as ambition for ambition’s sake. Instead, you are on a mission to really grow as a person and experience a lot of great things, which you will do via the planet on the Midheaven.

Planets conjunct the Midheaven in the 10th are very worldly and professional. They express themselves with a concern for reputation and image. Meanwhile, planets conjunct the Midheaven from the 9th aren’t as concerned with their status, however. Planets in the 9th House can be rather careless and unaware of decorum. Therefore, you can express this planet to the world in a very unaffected, unpretentious way. You don’t stop to think about the impact it’s going to have on your public standing and, within reason, you really shouldn’t stop to think about it.

So, I think that 9th House culminating planets are much more about the journey than the destination. You probably aren’t calculating in your career pursuits or all that obsessed with traditional success. For instance, a 9th House Pluto culminating person doesn’t really want to gain worldly power but be empowered, on a spiritual level, by their professional journey. You have huge dreams and aspirations yet not in a way that allows your career to consume you. These are not workaholic planets. You are more so driven by the inner fulfillment your career can bring.

There are certain astrologers who might place these planets in the 1st or 10th House, instead. But, I personally wouldn’t heed that line of thinking, especially if the orb is wider than 4 degrees. The planets always fall exactly where they’re supposed to fall. They’re in the exact house they belong in. So, if you have an angular planet on the so-called “dark side” (the 12th or 9th) of the Ascendant or Midheaven, then embrace that. It can allow you to express that angle in a way that’s even more interesting and complex than the traditional interpretations.

P.S. I would also make 8 to 9 degrees the maximum orb for any planets conjunct the Ascendant or the Midheaven.

21 comments:

  1. What does having a 12th house moon conjunct the ascendant mean?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your go-to role is taking care of others in your environment and responding to them but you're not so obvious about this. You might come off as not overly emotional and even quite rational but you're actually very intuitive and use this intuition to navigate your environment. A lot of people are automatically comfortable around you and many people will want you to take care of them, in some way. But, it might be hard for them to put their finger on why they feel this way around you.

      Delete
  2. this makes sense, i like the method of not rounding up. like you said, the planets are in the house they are in.

    ~ Neptune and Uranus 12th house conjunct ascendant + scorpio Pluto/moon 9th house conjunct scorpio midheaven

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I cleared that up for you, ufo! :)

      Delete
  3. I have moon in pisces in the 12th conjunct aries ascendant. This makes a lot of sense.The moon is conjunct by a wide orb , 10 degrees but I still feel it more like even my body is not like for a natural Aries but a bit lunar too. But sometimes I feel like my Aries Rising is more about fighting about Piscean things. Quite interesting. Im motivated to see oneness in everything. I see this in a Libran way(balancing things) /Sun in libra but act this out in an Aries way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have 12 house jupiter in 10° libra conjunct libra ascendant... what does this mean?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a very refreshing take on angular planets. I wonder if you could tell me how to interpret applying and separating aspects between the planet and the axes. For example, How should I read sun in ninth house applying conjunct to the MC as PLuto conjuncts the ascendant from the twelfth in the same manner?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Working out conceptualizations intellectually is great and necessary for chart interpretations, but I think you have to take things on a case by case basis, and base them on what the reality of the person is. For example, you said:

    "You express this energy like an undercover agent, as it motivates you but is not all out in the open like a 1st House planet on the Ascendant would be."

    This may very well be true in some cases, but take Donald Trump's chart for example. His Mars is in the 12th and conjunct the Asc by 3 deg. His Mars is extremely visible in a 1st house way (unfortunately!) It is not kept hidden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand that. But, this is a general article on a blog. Taking things on a case by case basis is for chart readings, which is definitely what I do.

      His conjunction is in Leo which can make him showier about it, in some way. But, it's not always about it being hidden per se. It's about it being expressed indirectly.

      I think he still has a way of expressing that Mars indirectly. I think he's totally out to dominate and get what he wants. Yet, he expresses that agenda through the veil of "making America great again". With Mars in the 12th, he gets what he wants through manipulation. So, he sees how much fear the nation is living with and milks it in order to slide past all the candidates, all while professing that he has our best interest at heart.

      He's a clear bully, in certain ways. 12th house planets rising are still visible. People can still see them. It's just a matter of what they're seeing. There's a simplicity and directness to the 1st house. 12th house planets rising are expressed in roundabout, elusive ways that can potentially create confusion and chaos, like Trump is doing. Just because he seems aggressive doesn't mean that his Mars still isn't functioning in 12th house mode. Eventually, the 12th house planet does get exposed and then the secret is out.

      Delete
    2. He also has Regulus rising so maybe not the cleanest example

      Delete
  7. What about a 12th house North Node at 29° Capricorn conjunct Ac 1° Aquarius? My son has this, and I cannot for the life of me determine quite what it means.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have my Virgo Mars basically straddling my Virgo ascendant - it's less than 1degree behind it! I've seen my birth certificate so I'm very sure of this placement :)

    And even though your interpretation absolutely makes sense and resonates with me (I especially liked the image of the child behind the tree as a metaphor), I've been perceived as very pushy and aggressive all my life. More often than not I am direct whenever I feel a situation calls for it, as I'm a very no nonsense type a gal with zero patience, and I hate beating around the bush. To elevate that energy I've had to learn to count to 10 before I pick my battles, to choose my words carefully once I have something to say, and to always play it fair, objective and clean. Basically, I'm very much a Mars conjunct ascendant that had to learn to be a bit more Venus about stuff! 8/10 times I do it well but sometimes my temper still gets the best of me, unfortunately.

    That's not to say you're wrong in your thoughts! I just wanted to tell you how this aspect manifests in me: though I do recognize that since I have a stellium in late Leo conjunct my early Virgo sun, maybe that fire makes me more prone to let my Mars out of the shadows? Or maybe the fact that my Mars and ascendant progressed into libra in my early teens is the reason I learned to play nicer. What do you think? :) Thanks for a really great, and generously informative blog!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I get what you're saying. Your Mars is actually super-close to the Ascendant, so that changes things. If it's the same degree as the Ascendant and only minutes behind (like if Mars were 8.02 degrees Virgo and the Ascendant were 8.33), then I would definitely say it's a 1st House Mars. That's the only instance where I would push it into the next house.

      So, you may actually just be a 1st House Mars person. Even if they're not the same degree, your Mars is very ready to leave the 12th House. It makes sense, then, that it feels very 1st House. So, your situation is different from someone whose Mars is 5 or 6 degrees behind the Ascendant.

      Delete
    2. Ok, cool! Mars is at 26'56 Virgo and my ascendant is at 27'01, so it's not exactly the same degree but your reasoning still stands i suppose! Thanks for clearing that up and thanks for the reply :)

      Delete
  9. I wish you wrote an article about the 6th house planet conjunction to the Descendant and 3rd house planet conjunction to the IC as well. I think they are also significant. Maybe not to the degree of the Ascendant and Midheaven but would be interesting to get your take on those as well

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super interesting read. I like that you said planets fall exactly into the house they are meant to fall. That being said, any thpughts about venus being zero degree and one minute away from tge 12th house? Does it read as 12th? Or both? Or just 11th?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have always look at planets on house cusps as being in a transitional phase of the cycle. Noting the path of the planets in the progressed chart shows how the planets energy in question will evolve over time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wayman Stewart, you did it again. Nice, informative article! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have Pluto conjunct Midheaven from the 9H with a 6 degree orb and that was spot on. Now, I have Saturn in 12H 11 degrees from Ascendant and I really don't know what to make of it.. like if people can perceive it or not? I have noticed that people often treat me as if I'm stressed or something, telling me to relax when I feel or at least I think I come off as relaxed.. Don't know if this makes sense, just putting it out here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just found your website and I absolutely love it; I've been scouring through it all day. I have a question for you though, one that I have been trying to get a good answer to for months; how would you interpret a 12th house Pluto two degrees away from the Ascendant, both in Scorpio? Everything i have found so far says that Pluto conjunct the Ascendant makes for the person to act similarly to a Scorpio Rising, but what if that is already the case? And how would the Pluto behave differently than if it was in a different placement? Thank you so much! So happy to have found this page, (your article on Virgo Midheaven was the best I've found so far!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Neptune 11°SCO41'-ASC 12°SCO10'-Venus 12°SCO25'[};)]-Mercury 15°SCO00'/Sun SCO (double SCO)/Moon 16°TAU40'. As Neptune rules my 5th house PIS, and it's within 1° orb of my ASC (and subsequently Venus--ruler 12th--within 1° ASC in Ist) would you say that Neptune is a subwoofer or a 32' pipe?

    Yes, in fact I am a musician (singer-bassist: LUVZ me some subwoofers). Thank You for asking!

    ReplyDelete