Monday, April 6, 2015

Mercury-Neptune Aspects: The Visionary



With your Mercury sign conjunct, square, opposite, sextile, or trine Neptune in your birth chart, you are the visionary. This is one of those interesting aspects that brings two very different planets together. Mercury represents our thinking processes and comprehensive skills, making it our particular brand of logic. Neptune, meanwhile, couldn’t be any more illogical if it tried. This nonlinear, boundary-free planet cannot be pinned down by logic. Therefore, with a Mercury-Neptune aspect, your form of thinking is, well, interesting, to say the least. There is a virtual galaxy inside of your head that can make you brilliant and gifted but also make you utterly confused.

Since Mercury represents learning, I think our Mercury sign, aspects, and house placement strongly influence our grade school years. Our Mercury really played a role in the kind of student we were: how easily we learned, what our favorite and least favorite subjects were, and what problems we might’ve faced in class. As a Mercury-Neptune person, your problem might have been that you had a tough time remaining fully present in class. You were probably a daydreamer in class, with your vivid fantasies easily being provoked every time the teacher brought up a subject or someone made an observation. That’s the thing about having this aspect. Anything someone says can send you off on to a mental journey somewhere else.



This obviously could’ve become a problem, with teachers constantly telling you to pay attention. Yet, really investing yourself in the lessons being taught could have also been an issue. Since Mercury is how we comprehend things, information that really stimulates your imagination is what gets your brain going the most. Even if you have Mercury in Gemini, Virgo, or Aquarius, the aspect to Neptune means that cold logic just simply leaves you cold. So, subjects that involved storytelling of some kind, like History or English, were probably your strong suits, as well as anything creative. Mercury-Neptune students usually excel in artsy electives like Photography, Drama or Visual Art in school. But, when it came to Math or Physics, your brain might have seriously malfunctioned.

It could have stumped you, your parents, and/or your teachers, especially if you were a really bright kid who happened to be almost failing Algebra. But, this brings us to the essential feature of Mercury-Neptune aspects: your intelligence is ignited when it comes to subjects that have no boundaries. Math involves almost no imagination; it’s too linear for you. You’re not interested in two plus two equals four. That’s too limited of a way to think. You’re interested in information that has to be imagined, felt through, creatively interpreted. Mercury gives us stimulation and nebulous Neptune means that you’re stimulated when you’re able to transcend logical boundaries.

This is why you’re the visionary. Your mental faculties are on another plane than many other people’s. It’s now accepted that there are all sorts of intelligence, beyond the types that can be measured by conventional IQ tests. People with their Mercury in aspect to Neptune prove this, with most of them being very high in emotional intelligence, for example. You have a very psychic feel for information, taking it all in on a deeply right-brain level. You understand all the things that people don’t understand about a person, a subject, or a situation; the things that are invisible. But, it’s this very understanding that can make Mercury-Neptune feel misunderstood or somewhat insane, at times. Neptune isn’t easily understood by the day-to-day world, after all.

Therefore, communications with others can sometimes be confusing, for you or the other person. People with these aspects heavily think in metaphors, images, euphemisms, etc. So, you can speak in the same way, as Mercury also rules how we engage in conversation with others. But, people who have a much more straightforward, simple viewpoint can simply be left scratching their heads at some of the things you say. Your language can become so poetic and suggestive that it seems like you’re speaking in Shakespeare than regular English. Yet, you can also sometimes become confused by the subliminal messages you’re picking up from others. Mercury-Neptune folks hear everything you say and everything you don’t say. People often say what they don’t mean or converse in ways that cover their true feelings. You clearly see all of this and it can puzzle you or upset you, possibly making you believe that the other person is seriously troubled or has ill will toward you.

Those with the sextile or the trine, as well as possibly the conjunction, are more likely to just attribute all of these complex signals in conversations to secrets that others are keeping and come to a place of acceptance about that. But, having the square or the opposition, as well as the conjunction, in some cases, can make you downright overwhelmed or paranoid about this underlying information. For a conflicted Mercury-Neptune, it’s tough to tell what’s real or what’s not in their communications with others. Neptune can become deluded, when unbalanced. So, you might delude yourself into believing all sorts of wild stories about the other person.

When your mind goes to these far-off places, it can be difficult to pull you back down-to-earth. In extreme cases, a person with Mercury-Neptune can allow their imagination to run free to an unhealthy degree. If you have this aspect, you have to be careful of getting lost in the stories in your head to the point that you believe them to be true, whether it involves you or someone else. When Neptune aspects a personal planet, it can become all too easy for us to put a nice veil on the truth, telling white lies to ourselves or others in order to not face reality. With Mercury, when the cold, hard facts are too much to bear, the fibs can bounce around your head or off your lips. So, be careful of buying into or selling convenient fantasies, instead of what’s really going on.

The flip side of these aspects is that people can get all sorts of mixed signals from you, as well. Mercury is verbal but Neptune runs so deep that it goes far beyond words. So, people with their Mercury in aspect to their Neptune have a gift for nonverbal communication. Your words are often full of subtext, like some film actor silently expressing their feelings during a close-up. A lot of people pick up on this, which might make you come off as a mystery, in your conversations. In fact, this subterranean kind of communication might unsettle other people, just like you can be unsettled by others’ hidden meanings and moods. They may get the subtle sense that you’re lying to them or keeping secrets, in some sense, or feel puzzled by your indirectness. It wouldn’t hurt to cultivate a bit more straightforwardness, at times, and not expect others to read your mind.

Not everyone is as psychic as you are, after all. Having the square or opposition might make it tougher for you to accept this gift, as it seems so illogical. But, it’s true that, with a Mercury-Neptune aspect, a lot of your thoughts are not your own. In fact, if Neptune is particularly powerful in your chart, you may be perceptive to the point of near telepathy! You understand (Mercury) the vibes in the air (Neptune) so deeply that you can receive someone’s exact thoughts, often without even trying. Like all intuitive gifts, this might be quite scary for you. Some Mercury-Neptune people establish a habit of protecting themselves from their psychic abilities. Adapting to the world’s cut-and-dry sensibility, you might not even be aware of this talent. Yet, there’s a reason why your brain often feels overloaded and invaded by thoughts that curiously don’t sound like your own. It’s enough to make you think you’re going crazy! You’re not. But, you must accept your gift.

This is why all Mercury-Neptune people need regular time alone to clear their heads. You need regular time of quiet, with no noise at all, wringing out the sponge that is your brain. The more mental clarity and sharpness you have, the more control you’ll have over your gift. Neptune is such a chameleon and, therefore, it’s very easy for you to assimilate the opinions, thoughts, even voices of others as your own, even if you have an independent mind. But, clearly recognizing your own voice will let you know when someone else’s thoughts are entering your head. Therefore, you can create stronger mental boundaries between you and others and function in your social life more.

These abilities will often startle others, though. Without realizing it, you can say the exact thing someone else was thinking or predict when a certain someone is calling. You need to be able to go into something of a haze to be this lucid. Those with Mercury-Neptune aspects think the clearest when they’re able to space out. That’s why you can sometimes seem to check out during conversations. Your mind regularly drifts somewhere else and you should allow this. Just don’t forget where you are! You are quite spacey but that’s one of the endearing things about you. Your brain just doesn’t follow a straight line. Mercury-Neptune folks routinely forget what they were going to say in conversations, misplace important things, and get lost going places, even with a GPS!

However, this nonlinear thinking is ideal for artists with a Mercury-Neptune aspect. It’s a common influence amongst creative types, giving them the otherworldly inspiration to come up with amazing new ideas. You have a very chaotic process, as it seems like some other force gets into your head and tells you everything to do creatively. People with strong Neptune aspects are typically very creative. With Neptune in aspect to Mercury, your particular artistry is communicative. Therefore, many wonderful screenwriters, poets, playwrights, and songwriters are born with this placement, capable of using transcendental language to take the audience into another world.

Mercury-Neptune individuals usually understand the themes and messages of a given film or piece of music on deeper, more complex levels than most. You can instantly understand anything that’s soulful and relates to the human experience. This gives you a very soothing, empathetic touch in your conversations. Whenever someone’s speaking to you about their experience, you automatically envision the story they’re telling, putting yourself right in their shoes. Again, you might have to watch out for this. You can sometimes adapt to the other person to the point of virtually becoming them. The good thing is that your adaptability allows you to go with the flow of any conversation. You can have a very serious talk, a silly talk, an intense, emotional talk, or a laidback talk.

Our sense of humor is also ruled by Mercury, in my opinion, as the observational quality of Mercury is the root of humor. With this planet touching Neptune, your humor can come from saying what others are thinking. Not in a brutally honest way like Mercury-Mars (unless you also have that aspect). Just by reading what the other person’s mood and saying something funny to appeal to that. Most Mercury-Neptune people are chameleons in their wit, too. They can be dry, goofy, sarcastic, or slapstick, depending on the person and situation. Yet, you can enjoy your sense of humor just as privately, as well, if not more. You tell a lot of jokes to yourself, laughing at them constantly in your head, though few may notice. You might also act out or think of a lot of funny situations by yourself or imagine yourself cracking others up. That imagination just never stops!

Mercury conjunct Neptune: The overwhelming nature of the conjunction can make you the most confused or mentally drained of the bunch. Yet, you also have the potential to develop a powerful “third eye” and a unique intelligence. So, focus on channeling your mental powers into creative pursuits, as well as connecting to others with compassion without losing your boundaries.

Mercury square or opposite Neptune: There can be some strong resistance to your intensely right-brained nature, due to the square or the opposition. You can insist on logic while still feeling like you’re losing your mind, swamped by the total free-flow of thoughts. Learn to think of intuition as a form of reason. Then, you can express an uncanny blend of both halves of your brain.

Mercury sextile or trine Neptune: Imagination and psychic insights come very easily to you, with the soft nature of the sextile or trine. The irrational is not something you try to fight. Yet, you are still guilty, sometimes, of being spacey or nonsensical, so don’t drift too far off. You’re really stimulated by your creative energy and will never be bored as long as you have something to escape into.

31 comments:

  1. I just find your blog, and I devoured each letter you wrote. Thanks!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff!! Please keep up the stellar work! Astrology needs you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is by far the best astrology blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really nice. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  4. I've often thought to myself why I HATE math. I thought I was supposed to be great at it being very Mercurian. Now, I know why I hate math! And your explanation rang true for me. I think, write, and speak eloquently. My head was always in the clouds in school or when someone is talking to me yet I am still grounded enough to hear and comprehend their conversation. Thanks for this topic! Had a total light bulb moment while reading this blog post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. Yeah, I have Mercury trine Neptune but my Mercury is in Virgo. Maybe you have Mercury in Earth, too, because I am a mixture of both. I'm clear-headed and articulate and pay attention to details well. But, I do space out and daydream regularly. And math was my worst subject, for sure. Something about it always bugged me and stressed me out, especially having to "show your work" and all of that. I really loved elective classes in high school, though, because of the creativity and imagination they required. I took drawing, drama, photography, pottery. Anything artistic that I could do.

      Delete
    2. Hey ,I know this might reach you a bit too late as I've only just started to get knee deep into my own chart... I have a Mercury Trine Neptune wherein my Mercury sign is Taurus and my Neptune is in Capricorn... I actually enjoyed mathematics and got distinctions in high school ,but maybe that would be my Mercury inconjunct Uranus? Because I love the miniscule data represented and envisioning ways to exploit these subtlities... like small habits an individual can master and I few that as artistic ? ...I'm quite confused with how everything blends together in the larger framework

      Delete
  5. I'm impressed. Your ability to capture this aspect was spot on, so spot on I started laughing at the part where you mentioned joking and reinacting situations alone with oneself. I do that a LOT. Math makes my mind stop, I look at numbers and well they melt it and I can't focus. Anything with words or creativity I excelled in.

    I've got a square, so it's difficult for me truly with logic and illusion.. What am I kiddin though, I've read so many minds I should accept that illusion is apart of me and not necessarily an illusion but a mystical web of imagination and magic,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dealing with the square will definitely be more difficult. But, the blessing of a square is that it forces you to work hard on it and when you do, you can eventually become a master at it! So, with Mercury square Neptune, you can master that tension between logic and intuition/fantasy to the point where, as you said, those dreams and illusions become a form of logic to you.

      I do the internal joking a lot, too. Mercury and Neptune both sextile my Midheaven, as well, so I actually wind up doing it in public regularly, too, and laughing by myself, which is not embarrassing at all. :)

      Delete
  6. I love this! I wondered why I identified with it so much, since my neptune and merc don't touch in any way...and then I laughed when I remembered that my 3rd house is all pisces. It totally works that way too! Thanks for this awesome article :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This rings so true for me and I had to laugh when you said about the jokes inside the head. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your astrological insights are making me fall in love with you. But that may just be my Venus Pisces talking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved your explanation of these aspects. I'm completely.

    I have sun in Virgo, Gemini rising, with Moon in Virgo and Gemini moon and Mars, by having these positions I should have great intelligence, logical and rational, but mine has always been a different intelligence, I was very bad in math, but I always loved art, surrealism, spiritual, love painting, I have always been good on issues of creativity, what you said is true about the movies, I love to watch movies that touch taboo subjects, I love analyze in depth and I sometimes I take them to heart. But in matters of calculations, I'm bad.

    I have Mercury trine Neptune. Sun Trine Neptune. Midheaven in Neptune. I think thats why my mind wanders a lot, sometimes I can not concentrate because I imagine many irrational things. :(

    Excuse my English, my native language is Spanish :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved this. The explanation for the square on this site is a bit harsh (http://astromatrix.org/Horoscopes/Planet-Aspects/Mercury-Square-Neptune#/).

    My mercury squares 4 planets in my chart. Finding ur blog was rather soothing. I can not count the number of times I've spaced out during lectures and/or looked at maths like it was a curse from hell, but loved literature to no end. unlike everyone else here who got really expressive art wise (painting, drawing, making stuff), music did it for me. actually writing and books do it for me. I really feel sad when I talk to people who are supposed to be close to me and i just cant "see" their minds as much as i would love to. learning that this is a good placement for intuition is nice knowledge cuz I am working on my intuitive side if i have any. though it feels like its there when i work with my tarot cards. just not sure it would actually work with libra in the 6th and capricorn in the 9th. Mer n Nep respectively.

    Great post

    ReplyDelete
  11. I should've become an actor.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for your writing this has really helped to understand myself more. Love

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for your articles and deep insight. This is the second article of yours that I am reading today. I have Mercury trine Neptune, Mercury in Virgo and Neptune in Capricorn. I also have Mercury trine Uranus, with Uranus in Aquarius.

    ... Your articles are truly spot on. I am truly grateful for the time and effort that you have put into writing them. Even though I have come to accept my nature as being eccentric when compared to others, I still find it very reassuring to find that there is solid reasoning behind my thought processes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mercury square Neptune and I math was my favorite subject! Also my Neptune is in the 12th house! So there you go, you just never know:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have Mercury parallel Neptune and so much of this description described me to a tee.
    People often don't understand my way of thinking. I'm daydreamy and mentally drifty and I've had times where Ive picked up people's thoughts and emotions.i get lost easily, have trouble with time and numbers.s o on, so forth, tally ho! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing article. I have this placement and resonated on countless descriptions. I feel a lot less crazy now. thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. OK, but as always, dramatically too much litr'y stuff for this one aspect. I am fully "show me" per Astrology. FYI: major CIA spy and Bob Dylan (the "Master of Misdirection") born 2 days apart, both Mercury square Neptune. Barack Hussein Obama, assuming you believe birth data Sun AND Mercury square Neptune. Donald Trump, the square.
    Also, Marc Rich, the tax thief Bill Clinton pardoned, for cash and use of his wife for a few weeks. The nationally-notorious "financier" who ruined my hapless father financially, was the biggest - then - tax cheat in America. Famous spies, I got loads. This is what I do. If you can't relate it to reality, real people, means zotz to me. Oh, forgot: David Bowie, very prominent in his chart. Lots, most of the rest of stuff Astrologers and devotees write, I toss right out. Nonsense, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sorry; left out Aldrich Ames as the guy born near Dylan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, great. But, my understanding of these aspects is largely based on observing people in real life, based on their placements. Also, this is one of my aspects, so I wrote a lot of this from personal experiences. Just because I don't specifically mention certain people doesn't mean that it's not about my observations about them. I just don't tell you who it's about because a lot of them are not famous people and don't ask to be talked about online. :)

      And needing to prove everything to everyone is quite a boring, unimaginative approach to astrology, in my opinion. It is important to think for yourself and form your own ideas. I base a lot of my work on that. But, if you "toss out" what most people say about astrology, without processing it or taking it in first, you're not going to learn much of anything.

      Delete
  19. thank you for actually replying; most don't. Proving everything, agreed. It's a very subjective study based on actual planetary facts. Keeping a journal of a lifetime of friends, relatives, acquaintances is valuable. I do, though, always figure that many famous people have every bit of their laundry out there, for decades, so a good place to look. And of course, their planets/aspects show up in more dramatic form.
    As for me, 50 years of interest but many things, as I noted, have kept me from ever being a True Believer. So I done processed a LOT! Good example, just to rile you up: Marc Edmund Jones. I was reading his stuff in 1969. Sabian Symbols, as MoonBat a concept as ever lived. Yet, what a huge number actually take them seriously. As for the Mercury square, to me indicates a very colorful relation to reality, not necessarily a crook, liar etc. Again, proving stuff is for me foolish. Demonstrating, with tons of examples including personal, of extreme importance. Always interesting for me, but equally problematic. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I see where you're coming from. But, we just have two different approaches, I guess. Nothing wrong with that. :) Also, I've never heard of the Sabian Symbols. I just check it out just to see what you're talking about.

      And I actually won't sugarcoat it: Mercury-Neptune can definitely make for a liar, especially in the case of the square or the opposition. Not in all cases, of course, and there is usually no malice (like harmless lies that won't hurt anyone). But, there is just such a loose, confusing hold on the "facts" that the lies sometimes just happen unintentionally.

      It is easier for me with the trine. I know when I'm deluding myself and looking at my fairy tale version of the facts. Since my Neptune is also in the 12th, it's usually better for me to not indulge in it and to channel it into something artistic.

      Delete
  20. Again, you seem reasonable and sensible. Re: "prove it", etc., not where I'm at. But...do you think it unreasonable, unless believing, just because, that say, Mar/Moon conjunction means X or Y, to ask for 19 or 20 examples? That could well include people you know well. I mean, Grant Lewi did nothing but this, and most of his writings, analyses derive from personal clients and their live. Dis is how we do it, as the song went, not just flights of writing fancy.
    Marc Edmund Jones: Ya'll gotta edumacte yourself. First, the easier one, he personally is responsible for that total nonsense of "Bucket", "Locomotive", "Bowl" etc. distribution of planets in chart, and the purported meaning. The symbols stuff, it's very well-known, a good number of Astrologer actually believe it! Mr. J. was a smart, well-educated man. In 1920, thereabouts, sat down on a park bench in then-bucolic San Diego. Next to him, a young lady, disabled and generally reported as rather unstable. Put his paw on - I think - her head while she "chanelled the spirits". What she came up with were characterizations, symbolic, of every degree of the Zodiac! 7 degrees of Virgo, "The quaking leaf of the East Mongolia Acacia in a warm Spring breeze", that sort of junk. And curiously, Mr. Edmund-Jones was not satisfied with many, so he overruled "the Spirits" and made his own interpretations.
    Mr. Stewart: I have seen several Astro-books on this very subject. There are a good number, a WHOLE lot, who think this is for real. Just like "the critical 29th degree" and "The Part of Fortune". "It's from the Arabs, man"! This is what I mean by discarding stuff, permanently.
    Well, thanks for your time. Just talkin', really, probably will go on Sabbatical. Adios.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sp. errors are due to lousy keyboard. Sorry, I actually can spell, mostly

    ReplyDelete